Date:      Mon, 21 May 2018 00:35:34 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
To:        tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftpd in base

20.05.2018 18:49, tech-lists wrote:

> Hi,
>
> context: 11.2-BETA2 #0 r333924/amd64
>
> I'm trying to get chrooted ftpd (in base) to write files uploaded to the user dir as mode 666 (umask 111).
> I have a line in inetd.conf that looks like this:
>
> ftp stream tcp nowait  root /usr/libexec/ftpd ftpd -l -u 111
>
> The user logs in OK and uploads OK but the perms are always 644. There is no login.conf overriding this.

By default, there IS login class "default" in our /etc/login.conf with 0644 umask value.

> The users shell is /usr/sbin/nologin as these are ftp-only accounts. This exact config works fine on linux (specifically ubuntu)
>
> Why is ftpd ignoring -u ? How can I fix?

Our ftpd applies -u and by default instantly overrides it with login class setting.

You should add your own login class to /etc/login.conf with 0111 value
then run "cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf" and "pw usermod ftpusername -L ftploginclass"