Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 2013 10:21:25 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Anuranjan Shukla <anshukla@juniper.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcelm@juniper.net>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IFNAMSIZ/IF_NAMESIZE change proposal

On Sep 14, 2013, at 2:44 AM, Anuranjan Shukla wrote:
> At Juniper Networks, interface name size was needed to be longer than =
what FreeBSD has. We're trying to reduce our local changes to FreeBSD to =
allow us an easier time upgrading to newer FreeBSD releases, and support =
the modularization of the network stack we'd proposed earlier. I'm =
sending this  out to propose changing IFNAMSIZ from 16 to 60 (this is =
the size we use) in FreeBSD. We don't see any downside (other than =
increasing the ifreq structure size for one) to doing this, as allowing =
longer interface names can be handy for vendors. I'd like to hear if =
there's a strong objection to this. If not, we'd like to get this into =
to the FreeBSD codebase. Any thoughts/objections highly appreciated.

56 or 64 would be better for alignment, wouldn't it?

Warner