Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:37:33 +0200
From:      Sameh Ghane <sw@anthologeek.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPSEC question..

Le (On) Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 11:33:35PM -0700, Julian Elischer ecrivit (wrote):
> The sample docs and the daemon-news
> article get me part way started to making an encrypted
> tunnel using IPsec4 between two networks.
> However The are really quite confusing...
>
> Is there a SIMPLE description of what all the parts do?
>
> I have a gif tunnel going, but it's not clear to me how I make this tunnel
> start encrypting the damned data.
>
> I've fiddled with several commands (e.g. setkey) but tcpdump keeps showing
> plain encapsulated packets...no encryption..

Humm, which interface are you tcpdumping ?

I chose to use gif, to encapsulate RFC1918 packets onto the Internet.
Then I use IPSec, in transport mode, to encrypt traffic (using ESP after racoon
IKE), between the two hosts with public IP address.

So I can see encrypted packets only on the NIC interface, not on gif0.

Cheers,

--
Sameh