Date:      Fri, 31 May 2002 17:50:13 +0200
From:      "G.P. de Boer" <g.p.de.boer@st.hanze.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   REQUEST_SENSE and MODE_SENSE_BIG timeouts on Sony IDE CDRW-drive

Hello there,

I don't really know if this belongs in -questions, but since it seems to be
a problem seen troughout 4.5-STABLE and 5.0-DP1 I thought I should
better place it on a more general list.

Anyway, both FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE and 5.0-DP1 seem to dislike
my SONY CRX145E CDRW drive. At boottime both kernels (I tried
4.5 a few months ago and 5.0-DP1 just yet) throw this at me:

acd0: REQUEST_SENSE command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
acd0: read data overrun 18/0

(3 times)
and then

acd0: MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
acd0: read data overrun 34/0

(many times, not always the read data overrun)

The drive's connected as secondary slave (atm no secondary master, few
months ago when I tried 4.5 there was), primary master and primary
master are HDD's. My motherboard is a MSI K7T Turbo. The SONY drive
is a 10x/4x/32x CDRW which works perfectly on MS Windows.

Anyone has seen this or  has an idea how to fix this? I really would
appreciate to use FreeBSD on my 'workstation', but this way I simply
can't ;(

With regards,
G.P. de Boer ( g.p.de.boer@st.hanze.nl )