Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2007 07:46:53 +1000
From:      "Chris Keladis" <ckeladis@gmail.com>
To:        "Gary Kline" <kline@tao.thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: remote [ssh] Backspace] key gives me "^?"

On 9/16/07, Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org> wrote:

Hi Gary,

> On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 10:58:52AM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> > Chad Perrin wrote:

When in a problematic SSH session try entering 'stty erase <ctrl-v ctrl-?>'

Then hit the backspace key and see if it behaves as normal.

If that works, then you have a terminal emulation problem, and need to
try some other terms to find one that works for your keyboard (must be
set both client AND server-side).

If you think you really need to edit the keyboard mappings then the
file is /etc/termcap but i strongly recommend trying a few different
terminals (try vt100, linux, xterm, etc) before editing that file.

Remember, they need to be set in pairs, so change the term on both
sides, disconnect, reconnect with the new term, and do your tests.

Hope it helps,

Chris.