Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 18:28:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Danny Pansters <dannypansters@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATA disk "ticking"?

Please note: da=scsi, ad=ATA,

Ok, I have replaced my power supply, and now my
assumingly faulty SCSI drive seems to work again.
I have 4 drives in my box, two identical barracuda's
da0 and da1 and two IDE WD disks ad0 and ad1. It boots
off ad0 now.  Currently I have da0 and da1 mounted and
tested them by writing the ad root partition to it.
Not tested as part of the running OS, only have been
mounted to copy some data to its (then) root
partition. Worked OK.

Because of reocurring problems with the (currently)
da1 drive I have replaced my base system with 2 ata
drives, which is FreeBSD-4.7-PRE currently and they
have everything but the root partion mirrored with
vinum (much like I had da0 and da1 vefore). Root
partition is pseudo mirrored with dump every night, as
was the case with the da0-da1 setup before. I have put
these drives in because my (then) ad0 scsi drive
seemed to fail then but after power supply replacement
they don't seem to.

I'm quite certain that the caveat was the power
supply. Have now replaced it with an "Antec True
Power" thingie. Seems to run well and my scsi drives
(which I had mounted and copied some data to) seem to
do OK.

But the ATA drives (I think) still meke this clicking
sound now and again. I think it's resets and I'm not
sure if its hardware failure or perhaps the ata driver
in this case. They are ATA100 capable drives on a
UDMA66 capable controller. And it works on ATA66, it's
just these clicks now and then.

Any ideas? Frankly it doesn't seem to be "wrong"
rather misconfigured, after all the checks I did.
Could this be just the driver or should I be worried
(again) that my system is not OK (in which case I
would trash the mobo and give up on its current
hardware... the again all should be alright now)

Please reply to danny@ricin.com. Thank you, and best
regards.

Dan
--