Date:      30 Aug 2002 18:42:09 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        mdouhan@fruitsalad.org
Cc:        Yann Berthier <yb@sainte-barbe.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: snmp port

--=-FGiA01kANWh/ZxyvzI5E

On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 17:33, Matt Douhan wrote:

> >    1. installation of /usr/local/etc/rc.d/snmpd.sh.sample only and let
> >    the users needing an snmpd agent to have to know how to launch the
> >    snmpd daemon. See 3
> >    2. divide the port in a client part and a server one. This means mor=
> >    work for the maintainer
> >    3. bind the snmpd daemon on the loopback interface only, and let the
> >    ones who need an agent to configure it regarding their needs. After
> >    all if they don't know how to do that one can suppose they have
> >    nothing to do with an snmpd daemon no ? :)
> >
> >    I have no preference, and I am definitly not the maintainer of this
> >    port, but I would like to know what other people think about this
> >    minor issue.
> >
>=20
> I would definatly expect the SNMPD not some client thing, when installing=
 SNMP=20
> I am lookinf fo the dameon to run on the box so that I can gather info fr=
om=20
> it from our NM tools.

Not always.  I work in network management, and it is very helpful to
have snmp* utilities installed on my laptop along with ethereal linked
to net-snmp when I go to customers' sites.  I don't need to run snmpd or
snmptrapd.  However, on my servers at work, I need both.

I second changing the startup script to snmpd.sh.sample, and let users
decide if they want to enable it.

Joe

>=20
>=20