Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 18:03:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        "Larry S. Marso" <lsmarso@panix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can i run some windows95 programs

On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, Larry S. Marso wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 21, 1997 at 03:54:34PM -0800, Alex wrote:
> >
> > stage, but it works fairly well, and even runs WinWord.
>
> Are you serious?  Does it run Excel?  (The later is the only *must* run M$
> app for me, professionally.

Yes, I've seen many reports that it runs WinWord, however to do that one
probably needs a fair share of MS dll's as some of the emulated copies are
fairly broken.  I personally haven't tried either word or Excel, but it's
reasonably fast, and probably worth a try.  Chances are you'll need to
recompile your kernel (with options USER_LDT in your config file).  I
personally haven't used wine in a long time, but snapshots are made about
twice a month.

> Is there a site with alleged compatibilities listed?

I've long lost the url, but wine itself is on sunsite
(/pub/Linux/ALPHA/developtment or something like that), and its newsgroup
has a low noise ratio.

- alex