Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 01:42:17 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Where do I download release 4.5, how, and what do I need?

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 07:29:59PM -0400, Mark Filipak wrote:
> <This is really embarrasing>
>
> I went to www.freebsd.org and clicked the "Getting FreeBSD" link. That took me here: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors.html.
>
> I then clicked the "FTP Sites" link. That took me here: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors-ftp.html.
>
> I then clicked the "ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/" link. That took me here: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/
>
> What do I download? It is not obvious to me and there is no help or readme.

Actually there is a readme that you seem to have missed.  In the
directory you reached ( ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ ) there is a
file README.TXT that I suggest you read.

(Hint: Your next step after reading README.TXT should to go down into the
"releases" subdirectory and go on from there.  Files named README.TXT or
INSTALL.TXT are likely to contain useful information.)

The Handbook, found at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ , is also
something you should study. It contains lots of useful information as
does the FAQ. ( http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/ )

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson