Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:24:24 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Dino Dai Zovi <dadaizo@unm.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE HD size and geometry detected wrong

> (note: this is probably a different issue than the recent SCSI reporting
> bug)
>
> I have two identical IDE drives in my system, and FreeBSD reports their
> identical model numbers, but their sizes and geometries are reported
> differently.  The bug appears to be more serious than just reporting it,
> as I can only use a third of the capacity of one of the drives.  To better
> explain, here is my "boot -v" output (cvsupped monday night, disks in
> question are wd1 and wd2.)

This typically indicates that your BIOS is doing "funny stuff" to the
disks.  You might want to try fiddling with the disk modes (LBA etc.)
associated with the disks to make sure they're treated the same.
There's also a reasonable chance that it's getting its information from
the MBR on the disk; you would have to dd 0's over the first block of
the disk and power cycle to experiment with this theory.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org