Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 23:09:16 -0500
From:      dkelly@HiWAAY.net
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux emulation requires HW FPU?

I've been putting around with Linux emulation on my FreeBSD system of
recent vintage:

nexgen: {373} uname -a
FreeBSD nexgen.hiwaay.net 2.2-STABLE FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE #0: Sun May 11
17:28:30 CDT 1997     dkelly@nexgen.hiwaay.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/NEXGEN
i386

nexgen: {374} modstat
Type     Id Off Loadaddr Size Info     Rev Module Name
MISC      0   0 f48ee000 0008 f48ef000   1 blank_saver_mod
EXEC      1   4 f490d000 001c f4913010   1 linux_mod

Ok, linux_mod is loaded.

nexgen: {375} Wingz
Bus error (core dumped)

nexgen: {376} grep -i linux /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/NEXGEN
options         COMPAT_LINUX            #some say you need both.
options         LINUX_COMPAT            #some say you need both.

Have tried it with and without each of the above.

nexgen: {377} scalc3
User Install required before scalc3 can be run, please wait...
Segmentation fault - core dumped
Can't find initialisation script /home/dkelly/.sd.sh, User Install must be
completed before scalc3 can be run.

Wondering if my lack of FPU is a problem?

nexgen: {378} grep -i math  /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/NEXGEN
options MATH_EMULATE            #Support for x87 emulation
#options                GPL_MATH_EMULATE

Tried GPL_MATH_EMULATE once but cvsup started core dumping. So I went back
to the standard FreeBSD software FPU.

So, does Linux emulation require a hardware FPU?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net