Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:07:46 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        d@delphij.net
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, delphij@FreeBSD.ORG, jkim@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DPMS broken on ThinkPad T43 since update for amd64 support

> Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:01:51 -0700
> From: Xin LI <delphij@delphij.net>
>
> Hi,
>
> On 2010/03/18 08:33, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Since the update of DPMS to support amd64 on March 2, it has broken
> > rather badly on my ThinkPad T43 laptop. The problem showed up on
> > 8-stable built on March 3 and is still present after an update to stable
> > of March 17.
> >
> > When in vty text mode, after the idle normal delay, the display blanks,
> > but the backlight remains on, so the P in DPMS seems to be less than
> > effective. At that point, the non-graphics display is dead. It never
> > comes back when characters are entered. I can't get the display to come
> > back without a reboot.
> >
> > I can, however, start X (and Gnome) and everything is fine. But
> > switching back to any vty results in a blank screen.
> >
> > Any idea what happened and if there is a fix or workaround? Any data I
> > can collect?
> >
> > The system is a uniprocessor Pentium-M:
> > CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.00GHz (1995.01-MHz 686-class CPU)
> >   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x6d8  Stepping = 8
> >   Features=0xafe9fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,$
> >   Features2=0x180<EST,TM2>
> >   AMD Features=0x100000<NX>
> >
> > My display is:
> > vgapci0@pci0:1:0:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x056e1014 chip=0x54601002 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
> >     vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc. / Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.'
> >     device     = 'Radeon X300 Mobility (M22) (RV370)'
> >     class      = display
> >     subclass   = VGA
>
> Looks like that the CPU runs on i386 mode (doesn't support amd64?) and
> when the screen was blank (with back light) the kernel is still alive
> (as you can switch to X?
>
> Cheers,
> - --
> Xin LI <delphij@delphij.net>	http://www.delphij.net/
> FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!	       Live free or die

Yes, i386 only. (Pentium-M) and the system is fully functional. I can
enter commands (very carefully) and they run. I can do 'startx' and
gnome starts up correctly and the display works for X, but CTRL-ALT-F1
gives me a blank display until I re-boot.

I can exit Gnome and blindly enter "shutdown -r now" and the system
reboots as normal.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)