Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 2003 01:04:58 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
Cc:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>, girgen@pingpong.net, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: databases/postgresql7-client port

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Sean Chittenden wrote:

> > I was thinking today, after mistakingly installing the postgres7
> > port without the WITHOUT_SERVER option, if it wouldn't be handier to
> > have a databases/postgresql7-client port to which all the other
> > ports refer if they need libpq.so.n as a dependency.
>
> Palle and I have turned this discussion over a few times now.  What we
> concluded was that it'd be handy to have, but that the place to attack
> this problem would be on the PostgreSQL side of things and see if we
> can't work with the PostgreSQL developers to get them to assist in
> splitting up the tarballs or the distributions/targets so that it's
> easier to handle for everyone, not just FreeBSD.

Actually, as one that has been spearheading this on the PostgreSQL side of
things, we've split things about as far as they can go ... the 'client
side' stuff is libpq and associated headers, which are so tightenly tied
with the backend code itself that that is the one thing we can't split off

Everything else we've tried to pull out and put into gborg.postgresql.org
as a seperate project, since all they require is libpq itself to be
installed, but libpq is one thing that will never get split out as a
seperate tar ball ... or, rather, with 'never' being such a harsh/strong
word, it has a very low chance of ever being split off, to be close to
'never' ...