Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:40:04 GMT
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/112654: [pcn] Kernel panic upon if_pcn module load on a Netfinity 5000

The following reply was made to PR kern/112654; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To: Nagy Keve <keve@mail.duf.hu>, wforms@Safe-mail.net,
        bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 21:37:55 +0100

 On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:10:02AM +0000, Nagy Keve wrote:

 > An important update is that my earlier conclusion regarding the patch was f=
 > lawed.
 > The patch DOES WORK on RELENG_6, it gets rid of the kernel panic upon loadi=
 > ng the module and it DOES FIND the appropriate cable media connected. I a=
 > m still unable to explain what caused the "no carrier" issue during my ea=
 > rlier attempts with this patch.

 That probably was because of nsphy(4) not being the correct driver
 in order to determine the link status of this PHY.

 > So the concept is proved, this could be a proper fix if we can get the pcn =
 > driver to use ns_phy instead of uk_phy. With the current patch both ns_ph=
 > y and uk_phy shows up in dmesg, and I would rather see ns_phy only.

 Could you please give a kernel built with the patch at:
 http://people.freebsd.org/~marius/nsphyter.diff
 or for RELENG_6:
 http://people.freebsd.org/~marius/nsphyter.diff_RELENG_6
 instead of the patch for nsphy(4) a try?

 Marius