Date:      Mon, 03 May 1999 20:42:48 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Seth <seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, security@FreeBSD.ORG, jamie@exodus.net
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.1 remote reboot exploit (fwd)

> I have to say that Jamie really let us down by not running a raw
> tcpdump alongside the second targetted machine here.  Any chance of
> provoking these people into "demonstrating" the exploit on a machine,
> while another connected to the same wire is running

I'd say he or whomever first reported this to bugtraq let us down even
more by releasing an "advisory" in such an unknown and unverifyable
state.  By doing so, all they've done is hand ammunition to the FUD
corps and given us no reasonable chance to respond since the advisory
is so content-free as to be completely worthless.  Saying that "you
saw something crash the box" is like telling the highway patrol that
you "saw a stranded motorist somewhere between San Francisco and New
York (and oh yeah, it was on a road!)" - what the hell are they
supposed to do with a report like that?  Auditing the entire operating
system in search of such a reboot bug would be about as effective (and
practical) as trying to search the entire U.S. highway system from
coast to coast.

If we want to actually achieve something with these little security
alerts (other than to get people to stop reading them because they cry
"Wolf!" all the time), we need to do a lot better than this.  This
didn't even meet the most minimal standards for competence I'd expect
from someone in this industry.

- Jordan