Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 10:49:24 -0500
From:      "Michael Knoll" <mike_e_knoll@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sendmail on freebsd 4.4-RELEASE

I am trying to set up a nat/router for my cable modem using freebsd.  I have
nat set up and working.  I'd like sendmail to process outgoing queued mail
only.  In my rc.conf I have sendmail_outbound_enable="YES".

The host name of the machine is not the domain name that the cable modem
interface has.  When I start up sendmail, I get the error:

Dec 21 XX:XX:XX myhostname sendmail[XXXX]: My unqualified host name
(myhostname) unknown; sleeping for retry

So, in attempt to fix the problem, I edited /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
uncommenting the like and adding:

# my official domain name
# ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your
domain
Djmypc.cable.provider.com

But I still get the error, and it still is trying to find a FQDN for my
hostname.

How can I force a FQDN upon sendmail for outgoing mail?

Thanks,
Mike