Date:      Sat, 08 Sep 2001 05:29:21 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
Cc:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Causing <netinet/in.h> to depend on <sys/socket.h>

Jonathan Lemon wrote:
> > If this is done with pointers, rather than instances or
> > member references, in the API code, just forward declare
> > the structure, and use it as an opaque type, e.g.:
>
> Uhm.  Please go look at the definition of sockaddr_storage in
> <sys/socket.h>.  See RFC 2553 for more information.  Not speaking
> for Bill, but my guess he needs to use this to allocate storage
> in a protocol-independent fashion.

You mean like "not dependent on IPv4/IPv6, OK for use with IPX
and XNS and AppleTalk" because it's not wedged into an ``in''
specific header file?

> The other alternative may be to create 'sockaddr_storage46'
> in <netinet/in.h>, but that probably is equally yucky.

or sockaddr_storage_in, which would be more in keeping with
the current style and implementation.

Really, we went through *HELL* and a lot of bitching and
moaning to _get rid_ of #include files that bring in #include
files; this proposal intends to undo all that fine work, from
what I can see...

-- Terry