Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 1995 09:13:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Charles Browning <browning@Browning.csranet.com>
Cc:        adrian@virginia.edu, FreeBSD Questions List <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Questions about ftp install

On Wed, 7 Jun 1995, Charles Browning wrote:

> Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 15:46:21 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Charles Browning <browning@Browning.csranet.com>
> To: adrian@virginia.edu
> Cc: FreeBSD Questions List <questions@FreeBSD.org>
> Subject: Questions about ftp install
>
> I am a linux user that would like to install freeBSD.  I have the
> boot/root disk for 2.0.5ALPHA and everything goes well until I go to
> ALT-3 for network connection for ftp install.  At this point, connection
> to ISP is fine.  Message is ppp-on and back to terminal 1 and
> immediately, I get message (unable to resolve ftp.freebsd.org).  It
> doesn't even seem to try.  I have checked and rechecked by network
> information and know it is correct.  Anyone have clues why I can't see
> the DNS?

I have had a similar problem. the solution was to go to ttyv3 (alt f4)
and add the default route manually. for some reason this wasn't getting
done by ppp.  I used something like:

# route add default <ip addr of tun0>

then the nameserver/ftp stuff worked, well the nslookup stuff did.
Last night I got as far as `logging into ftp.freebsd.org' and
`cd to /pub/FreeBSD/.../' then it failed.

the debugging log looked like the program was looking for
some ``dist'' file or directory which wasn't there.

> Chuck

> *      Charles Browning  *  Augusta, GA      *
> *                 706.855.9999               *
> *       browning@browning.csranet.com        *

eric.
--
erich@lodgnet.com