Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:21:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Tim Hogan" <tim@hoganzoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble reading the nightly "security run output" report

OK, so every night the default install of FreeBSD generates a "security
run output" report for IPF denied packets.  Here is a sample report;

> 221143 @2 block out log quick on dc0 from any to any head 15
> 92733 @2 block in log quick on dc0 from any to any head 10
> 20 @8 block in log quick on dc0 from 10.0.0.0/8 to any group 10

That's it.  I am looking at this and trying to figure out if it is useful
and just what are those numbers for?  I have IPF creating a log entry for
all of the dropped packets, but when I look at the logs I can't match
those numbers at all.  In fact, if I do a 'wc -l' on the log file I get a
count of 10,780 lines.  If I take into account the log entries that have a
consecutive count logged I come up with 11,422.  Not even close the
numbers listed above.

So just what does this report mean and is there a better tool to run that
would give me a nightly report of total drops and perhaps the top ten
offenders and why?

Thanks
Tim