Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2008 00:20:59 +0100
From:      Rene Ladan <r.c.ladan@gmail.com>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Greek broken, as seen in firefox

Christian Weisgerber schreef:
> Greek characters are frequently broken in firefox.
> I can't believe I'm the only one to notice this.
>
> Bog standard configuration, firefox and X.org installed from ports,
> all font settings are defaults.  (8.0-CURRENT/amd64, not that it
> matters.)  I've seen the same problem on OpenBSD since the switch
> to modular X11, and now that I've set up a new FreeBSD desktop box,
> it happens here, too.
>
> Here is an example snapshot:
> http://shell.uugrn.org/~naddy/greek.xwd.gz
> (To view, gunzip and run "xwud -in greek.xwd".)
>
> That's the English Wikipedia page on the Greek alphabet.  Look at
> the righthand box with all the letters.  Except for lower case pi
> and upper case omega, all letters are replaced with, well, something.
> I'm not sure if it's plain garbage or a writing system I've never
> seen; Greek it isn't.  Greek letters that look fine in this snapshot
> are images.
>
> This display problem crops up wherever Greek letters appear in
> scientific formulae, the phonetic alphabet, etc.  It's very evident
> across such sites as Wikipedia and PLoS.  Interestingly enough,
> Greek Wikipedia pages are displayed with correct letters (although
> the font is spectacularly ugly).
>
> I have no idea whether the problem lies with Firefox/Gecko, or GTK,
> or Pango, or X11, or the fonts themselves.  I wanted to check the
> fonts, but in this age of Xft, how can I find out which fonts firefox
> uses and how can I view them?

The Greek letters in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet display
wrong here too (FreeBSD 7.0RC1, GTK 2.12.8, X.org 7.3, Firefox 2.0.0.12,
i386) except for beta, epsilon, mu, pi, and omega.

Running wine 0.9.55 also gives severe font corruption, when running e.g.
the trial version of Enterprise Architect 7.0, a lot of letters are replaced
by the paragraph ("double-s") sign, making the program unusable.

Rene
--
http://www.rene-ladan.nl/

GPG fingerprint = E738 5471 D185 7013 0EE0  4FC8 3C1D 6F83 12E1 84F6 (subkeys.pgp.net)