Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 1998 16:01:09 -0500
From:      James Kalmadge <kalmadg@banet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SoundBlaster AWE 64 GOLD

--------------446B9B3D2781E494167EB0E7

See attached.

If I paste with the mouse Netscape dumps core.

--------------446B9B3D2781E494167EB0E7

Dear Folks,

I have a SB 64 Gold card in my PC which works fine under
MS Windows.

However, when I try to get FreeBSD to recognize the board
it can't find it.  I have tried everything including setting
the parameters to those that MSW sets up in PnP mode without
success.

The pertinent facts are these:

In the config file:

# Audio drivers: `snd', `sb', `pas', `gus', `pca'
#
# sb: SoundBlaster PCM - SoundBlaster, SB Pro, SB16, ProAudioSpectrum
# sbxvi: SoundBlaster 16
# sbmidi: SoundBlaster 16 MIDI interface

# options SBC_IRQ=5             #PAS-16. Must match irq on sb0 line.
# PAS16: The order of the pas0/sb0/opl0 is important since the
#       sb emulation is enabled in the pas-16 attach.
#
# The i386/isa/sound/sound.doc has more information.
# Beware!  The addresses specified below are also hard-coded in
# i386/isa/sound/sound_config.h.  If you change the values here, you
# must also change the values in the include file.
#
# Controls all sound devices
controller      snd0

options SBC_BASE=0x220
options SBC_IRQ=5
options SBC_DMA=3
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 conflicts drq 3 vector sbintr
# irq 5 conflicts with my mouse. I have tried 10 also which MSWindows uses.
device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 7
device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330

options "SB16_DMA=7"

At Bootup:
sb0 not found at 0x220
sbxvi0 not found
sbmidi0 not found at 0x330

I would also like to point out the following lines from LINT:
# Beware!  The addresses specified below are also hard-coded in
# i386/isa/sound/sound_config.h.  If you change the values here, you
# must also change the values in the include file.

AND . . .

In the file sound_config.h:
If your card has nonstandard I/O address or IRQ number, change defines
   for the following settings in your kernel Makefile */

These seem to be out of sync. The header file uses #ifndef to determine
the need for a default definition.

I would appreciate any help you can give me on this subject.
Is the 64 GOLD NOT supported?  Or am I just missing something?
If it is not supported, is there anything in the works?

Thank You Very Much,

James Kalmadge
kalmadg@banet.net