Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 08:09:15 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's partition layout incompatible with Win98?

On Sun, Oct 11, 1998 at 06:32:28PM -0700, Doug White wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>

> > I'm running a machine which has Win95, WinNT 4.0 and FreeBSD (2.2.6)
> > installed on one disk. Nothing peculiar theses days.
> >
> > Now I wanted to upgrade WIn95 to Win98 and the Win98 installation
> > failed right at the beginning when the setup examined the computer.
> >
> > It said, it cannot cope with a 64KB FAT partition. Hmm, is it that
> > small slice that FreeBSD always creates when it asks the user
> > to create a partition layout being compatible with future operating
> > systems?
>
> Perhaps you have no free partition space on that disk?  FreeBSD may leave
> a 64k slice to make sure the slice is cylinder-aligned.

This may be the case. The disk does in fact have no free partition.
But so what, when I want to install Win98 over Win95 there is
no new partition creation involved. Win98 just says it finds
a 64K FAT partition and that's too small to cope with and aborts
the setup.

I think it's FreeBSD part now to get things straight. Couldn't it
mark that 64K partition non-FAT, i.e. 165? I believe then Win98 would
leave it's fingers off that partition.