Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 22:57:10 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "Ken Kyler" <ken@kyler.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Firewalls for Morons

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999 20:24:07 -0400, Ken Kyler wrote:

>> Try with an "open" firewall. Then ad a rule from a shell
>> ipfw add ## allow log from any to any
>The answer was in the rc.conf
>firewall_type="SIMPLE"
>should have been
>firewall_type="simple"

Glad you got it to work.
don't forget the deny log and allow log from any to any hints.
The "simple" set of rules will bump you into lots of issues, specially if you have a "deny all from any
to any" at the end. I don't particularly like the open firewall setting (i.e. allow anything which is not
trapped by a rule) because this may lead to open holes which one may not be aware.

Good luck!
Now that you got that working is only the beginning...