Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 02:51:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, brian@awfulhak.org, mattc@rfcnet.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why /var/log/ppp.log

> > > When I originally picked up ppp, it used this name.... when it was
> > > syslogd()ified, it kept the name.  There's no good reason (except
> > > that it's now what everyone knows).
> >
> > Hey, speaking of names, how about renaming (over time) the rather
> > ill-named -alias flag to -nat? :-)
>
> Possibly a good idea, due to the general confusion over terminology.
> Aliasing is only a subset of the possible NAT forms.  The library
> should definately have been named libnat, at least :-)

If you want to use the name it's called in the RFC's, you should
use the term "transparent proxy" or just "proxy" for short.

The term "NAT" is generally meaningless, and doesn't imply some things
that it should, while at the same time imply some things it shouldn't.
It's too "fuzzy" to be truly meaningful.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.