Date:      Sat, 22 May 2004 15:38:36 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cron can't find root or operator

chip wrote:
> Thanks for all the help. I like the changes so far. What about
> specifically mentioning in the Handbook chapter that when a user runs
> the command
> crontab crontab
> the user should do this in their own home directory. My problem was I
> ran it in the /etc directory, not knowing any better, probably becuase
> that bit wasn't mentioned in the Handbook, or if I recall correctly,
> even the FAQ. The Handbook text states
> "Let us take a look at the /etc/crontab file (the system crontab):"
> Followed by the section on the user crontab and the warning paragraph,
> but no mention of doing this in the user directory, not /etc.

Please take another look at that chapter in the handbook.  It was just
updated today with changes provoked by this conversation.  I feel that
it's much better at explaining how things work now, but I'd be interested
to hear feedback from someone like yourself, who is having difficulty.

> So, now I am trying to run -
> crontab crontab
> in my non-root user directory, as the non-root user, and it fails with
> this-
> "crontab: crontab: No such file or directory"

The second "crontab" in that command is the filename of a file to use as
input when creating the crontab.  It doesn't appear as if you've created
such a file.  If you want to create one from scratch, "crontab -e" might
work better for you.