Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:06:33 -0400
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
To:        Haim Ashkenazi <haim@babysnakes.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports dependency/INDEX errors on 4.10

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 12:26:57PM +0300, Haim Ashkenazi wrote:

> 2. the second problem is that I can't "make index". when I run it, it
> doesn't report any error, but when trying to run "portsman" I get an error
> that "INDEX file seems to be corrupted or is of an unknown format". the
> only way to fix it is to run cvsup, but then the versions I see in
> portsman are old.

I've seen this problem when cvsup runs after "make index" - patch conflict
stuff is left in the file for you to resolve, and it's not in the right
format for INDEX.  If you're going to make your own INDEX, you should
put INDEX in the cvsup refuse file to avoid this.  Also, make index will
do odd stuff if you have any ports in the cvsup refuse file, because
there will be dependencies that can't be resolved - and the error messages,
which I think are also left in the generated INDEX, again are not in
the expected INDEX format.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.