Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 19:39:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Eric Berenguier <Eric.Berenguier@sycomore.fr>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1.0 CRASH!

On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Eric Berenguier wrote:

>         My freebsd box crashed one minute ago.
> Here is the output:

> fault virtual adress = 0xf0783000
> fault code           = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer  = 0x8:0xf016f106
> code segment         = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                      = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags     = interupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
> current process      = 79 (named)
> interrupt mask       =
> panic: page fault
>
> When it happening i was typing at the shell prompt
> Can you explain what happened and how to avoid it ?

Ouch.  One of the techies can decode this for you.  I'd ignore it for the
time being. If it happens again and/or you are getting programs that are
dying with signal 11s and 12s, then get your computer's memory and
processor cache examined and replaced.

Your computer's specs (CPU, memory, motherboard, amount of swap, etc)
would be helpful auxiliary information, in case it happens to be some sort
of known bug in some hardware device.