Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 11:26:48 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>
Cc:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, mladavac@metropolitan.at, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a two-level port system?  (fwd)

On Mon, May 31, 1999 at 09:22:23PM +0700, Max Khon wrote:

> It's hard to check out the port for an arbitrary version of program.
> E.g.: try to check out port for samba 1.9.18p10

Well, samba was upgraded from 1.9.18p10 to 2.0.0 at Mon Jan 18 2:34:03
1999 UTC, so to checkout 1.9.18p10,

$ cvs co -D "Mon Jan 18 1:34:03 1999 UTC" samba
$

Actually, if you think about it a little, you'll notice that it
becomes _harder_ to checkout a specific version of a port if the whole
port is stored inside a single shar archive.

[Consider: port import, port upgrade, port bugfix to patch-ac --
 to checkout the original version of the port imported and include
 the bugfix to patch-ac is much harder if it's all shar'd up].

--
This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.