Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 20:52:47 -0500
From:      Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: speaking of 3.4...

jkh@zippy.cdrom.com said:
:= I generally get absolutely no feedback at all until 2 days before the
:= release goes "gold" and then a lot more feedback about a week after.
:= They always start the same way, too "Sorry I didn't have time to tell
:= you this before, but..." :-)

Being one of the people who has done this (more than once) to Jordan,
I can speak with some authority.  ;-)

What *would* improve *my* ability (and I suspect the ability of
others) to get back timely QA feedback on a candidate release would
be a reliable release schedule.  In my case it takes a week or two
to free up a machine, and free up the time, to take a day or two
to wring out a release.  If releases are announced to happen
two weeks hence, guess what?  I miss the window.

Now I've been in the software business for nearly 30 years, so I know
that the phrase "reliable release schedule" is nearly a contradiction
in terms.  Still, if we could settle down to a quarterly or thirdly (?)
release schedule, with more-or-less fixed dates for code-freeze and
release-cutting, I could plan that into my schedule (or even get one
of my people) to test the release.  If there were a schedule and
no more than 4 releases a year, I could mostly do that.

[Of course, recent 3.X releases have become so stable in my environment
(especially due to the NFS work that has been done; God bless-em) that
the testing process goes much quicker than in the 2.X days.]

Another think that would help pre-release QA is some kind of special
problem reporting track (perhaps a special PR coding or something) that
would allow fast triage to separate problems in to blocking and non-blocking
categories.  This might allow the precious volunteer resources to be
focused on the truly important release-stoppers in the critical pre-release
period.

Another suggestion:  Why not engage some of the large corporate users
like the Yahoos et. al. and get them to buy into the concept of being
so-called "limited-access/early-access accounts" with special access
to some developers on the understanding that they will commit to seriously
wring out new releases?  For that matter, why not see if they would fund
a mini-Cygnus kind of operation for FreeBSD?

And yet another sugestion:  Could the product be split into different
components with different release schedules.  For example, I would
like to get a set of ports/packages CDs every quarter.  That would
save me the effort of searching around for updates.  (And it would
be especially cool if it would come with a utility that would scan
through my installed packages and notify me of the updated ones,
allowing me to install them if I wish.) I would prefer to
get OS updates only twice a year.  Updating the OS is much more
disruptive than updating packages and ports.

Also, if critical bug fixes (like CERT fixes and things of this severity)
could be distributed as packages/ports, this would reduce the pressure
for new releases somewhat.

I don't know if any of the above are truly workable in the FreeBSD
development environment, but at least it is food for thought.