Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:38:00 -0000
From:      "cali" <calculus@softhome.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Bart Silverstrim" <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
Subject:   Re: portmanager loop?

>I had (have?) several packages in the ports collection that needed
>updating, and recently someone in the list was talking about using
>portmanager -u to save on problems with updating; it doesn't touch the
>ports database, it won't mess up the collection, it walks dependencies
>automagically, etc...should be as easy as "portmanager -u" and letting  it
>do it's magic, correct?

I read the same thing, and thought I'd give it a shot.

> On the Dell 2650 this is running on (FBSD 4.9) *seems* to keep
> recompiling xfree86-4-server.  Is there a way to tell if it is stuck in  a
> loop?  I had to stop it yesterday after it had been upgrading for  several
> hours.

The same thing happened to me. Not sure where it was stuck but I was getting
a distinct sense of deja-vu watching the output (I don't really mean deja-vu
but I can't think of a better way to say it). I left it for 30 hours, and
then cancelled it. I'm going to try and run it again today, I'd like to know
also if it will eventually get out of the loop, i.e if it is really a loop
or something different.

sorry that this post doesn't really help the situation

cali