Date:      Sun, 29 Jun 2003 00:17:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      manee <radwasteus@yahoo.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hard disk error , run fsck manually

hi sirs,

thanks for your time indeed.

--- David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org> wrote:
> Reboot your system.
>
> During the 10-second "spinning propeller"
> count-down, press the space
> bar once.  You should see the prompt
>
> boot>
>

> At that point, type
>
> 	boot -s
>
> and press "Enter".  This will enable you to boot
> into "single-user" mode.
>
> The machine should show the usual device probes, but
> instead of mounting
> filesystems and starting daemons, you will get a
> prompt like:
>
> Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
>

> At that point, press "Enter".  The prompt should
> read
>
> #
>
> This means that you are in single-user mode; you are
> running as root.
>
> At this point, I would (first) try
>
> 	fsck -p && reboot
>
> That is, do the "fsck" in "preen" mode; if that
> works OK, just reboot."
> If that does not automatically reboot, you have
> problems that "fsck -p"
> cannot fix easily.  In that case, try

as  expected, i need to run fsck

> 	fsck
>
> and answer the questions as best you can.  If you
> are (finally!) able
> to get through that OK, try

i got , after running fsck -p

THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAD AN UNEXPECTED
INCONSISTENCY:

       /dev/ad0s2g (/home)

so that i ran fsck and the following messages come

Phase 1
ad0s2g: hard error reading fsbn 98971950 of
21364912-21365023( ad0s2 nb 98971950; cn 6160 tn 183
sn 21) status=59 error=40;

CAN NOT READ: BLK 21364912
continue? [yn]

i had to hit y and a few messages simila to the above
popped up and before Phase 2 started, i got

FILE SYSTEM STILL DIRTY
PLEASE RERUN fsck MANULLY.

at this ponit i had to edit /etc/fstab and put /home
as read only in order to bring system up and running.

> 	reboot
>
> and see how far you ge.
>
> Peace,
> david
> --
> David H. Wolfskill				david@catwhisker.org
> Based on what I have seen to date, the use of
> Microsoft products is not
> consistent with reliability.  I recommend FreeBSD
> for reliable systems.

once again please cc to me

with best regards,

=====