Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 23:18:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr of Borg <dburr@borg-cube.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hardware <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Booting FreeBSD Install Floppy with USB Floppy drive?

Hi folks,

I'm trying to install 4.7-RELEASE on a VIA Epia Mini-ITX system.  This is
a new low-cost embedded/thin client type architecture that is becoming
increasingly popular (see www.mini-itx.com for more info).  Unfortunately,
this machine does NOT have a floppy drive controller.  It DOES, however,
contain BIOS-level support for booting from a USB floppy drive.  It also
contains network booting support, using PXE.

I'd like to install 4.7-RELEASE on one of these beasties, but when I
tried booting the install floppies from the USB floppy drive, it got to
the point where the little whirly cursor thingie appeared, but then it
stopped.  The "BTX" (?) Forth boot loader never appeared, nor did the
system progress any further into the boot.

So, on to my questions:

* is there any way to get booting from a USB floppy drive to work?
* if not, can the FreeBSD installer be booted in any other way?  Can I
  somehow boot the installer floppy image over the network using PXE?  Or
  is there any other method?  (if it helps, I have a FreeBSD box that is
  already up and running on my network, and can set it up for net booting,
  etc.)

I know I can get it installed if I attach a CD-ROM drive to this unit, but
hey, I always do things the unconventional way :-)  (Besides, I don't have
any CD-ROM drives.)

Any and all help greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
--
Donald Burr of Borg <dburr@borg-cube.com>     | FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!
WWW: http://www.borg-cube.com/  ICQ #16997506 | http://www.freebsd.org/