Date:      Sat, 01 May 2004 11:15:19 -0700
From:      Rishi Chopra <rchopra@cal.berkeley.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Power Off At Shutdown (shutdown -p)

Rishi Chopra wrote:

> I'd like to have my computer shutdown without pressing a key to reboot -
> 'shutdown -p' doesn't seem to be working for me...
>
> I have:
>
> apm_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf, and
> device          apm0    #Kernel config entry
>
> Hardware is a Dell XPS120c - do I need anything enabled in BIOS?  Is
> there a way to check hardware compatabilty (e.g. something other than
> google groups, which isn't turning up anything)?

Looks like the hardware is not supported; have a look at the informative
reply by Robert Downes, 5/1/04 @ 5:17AM:

I tried to find the spec for your machine on Dell's site, but their site
sucks. They don't support the Mozilla browser, and they don't seem to
have anywhere that lists machine spec. You could e-mail them and ask
them if your board supports advanced power management, but I wouldn't
hold out for an informed reply.

Another site I found links your machine to a Pentium 120 MHz. Nothing
wrong with that, but it seems like it must be a few years old. I think
that probably puts it before advanced power management, but let me see
if my big book of hardware wisdom can enlighten me...

Scott Mueller's Upgrading & Repairing PCs
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0789729741/bobulouscentr-21

According to the boards section, if I'm reading it right, neither of the
Intel chipsets that support the early Pentiums, and have a 128MB EDO RAM
limit, used a southbridge that could support ACPI.

So it seems possible that your machine does not support the power
functions in hardware. I may be reading it wrong, though. Without
knowing exactly what chipset you've got in there, it's hard to be sure.
There were non-Intel chipsets for your processor.
--
Bob