Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 23:59:22 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Scot Elliott <scot@poptart.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 for NFS server

> > I have a 905 too, but I only use it in 10 Mbps mode.  IIRC, it only has 4k
> > cache, split between transmit and recieve, so when there's heavy traffic,
> > it goes nuts and drags the system down with it.
> > Blame 3Com, not the OS.

This is not fair.  The current driver for these cards runs them in a
backwards-compatible mode that does not take advantage of their more
advanced features.  This *is* an OS issue.  The recent 3com supporter
indicated that he would be writing improved support, and that's
thoroughly wonderful.  I'm certainly keen to see it happen.

> Hmm... well I've always avoided 3com cards in FreeBSD because of the
> rather discouraging comments in LINT:
>
> # el: 3Com 3C501 (slow!)
> # ep: 3Com 3C509 (buggy)
>
> Does anyone know if this is still true - or do these actually work OK?

The 501 is an atrocious piece of junk, and we should probably stop even
pretending to support it.

The 509 has caused many people grief, but basically the card works
quite OK when properly configured.  It's not a stellar performer, but
it's quite functional.