Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:38:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Proper way to disallow IFF_PROMISC

Sometimes the wi device cannot support promiscuous mode.  I know in
the driver when it can and can't do it.  What's the right way to
indicate this to the upper layers of the network code.  Right now I
take a huge hammer to the if_flags field and clear the bit when we're
in hostap mode (which is the condition referred to above).  However, I
notice that the OpenBSD driver will keep the flag set and has all
kinds of hacks to not set it in hardware when in hostap mode.

What's the right way to do this?  if_wi.c 1.108 has this change in it
if you wanted to go look at it.

Warner