Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2001 00:45:37 +0200
From:      Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.4 upcoming release/timetabling/mirroring

> > I am sorry but this is simply not true! The tier-n thing has ben discussed,
> > but not implemented or agreed to in any formal way. If it is then that fact has not
> > reached the mirror maintainers.
>
> Well, I'm honestly not sure how the mirror maintainers could have
> missed the discussion in hubs at the time, but you may rest assured
> that the maintainers of ftp-master.freebsd.org see things this way and
> if you want to make it official, then consider it official.  Only full
> and complete mirrors should be talking to ftp-master.freebsd.org.  The
> whole multi-tier mirroring arrangement just can't work any other way.

Nice, then we have to implement it. :-)

We still have to agree on what amount of space one have to have available to
have a complete mirror, and give mirror maintainers time to get more space
when we realise that things are going to grow. Is is impossible to agree to
be a complete mirror without that information.

We also have to get the tier-2 sites some tier-1 sites to mirror from.

But this will have to wait until after the release is done.