Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 19:23:21 -0400
From:      "David S. Jackson" <dsj@sylvester.dsj.net>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI emu over ATAPI

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 06:07:37PM -0500 Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com> wrote:
> Not necessary.  burncd is an ATAPI-specific cd burner that comes with
> the base OS.

Well, I like burncd, and I've been building a script as a front
end to it and mkisofs and some id3 programs, also with amp -c -w
support too for the past day or two.  But burncd doesn't seem to
be as featureful as cdrecord yet.  For example, you can't pass
arguments as to tracksize or CD-Text info.  This means you can't
run it with certain DAO front ends, like gnometoaster and
XCD-Roast.

Further, much of the CDRW software for Nix now uses SCSI commands
to talk to the CDRW, even ATAPI ones.  So it does things like
scan the SCSI bus for device numbers, LUN numbers and so forth.
From what I've been reading, FreeBSD is the only OSS OS that
doesn't support SCSI emulation over ATAPI buses.

I guess what I'm really hoping for is that someone out there has
a kernel module or something that I can load and let my ATAPI
device speak SCSI over some sort of pseudo interface or pseudo
device or something.  Any ideas on that?

How come FreeBSD doesn't have such a pseudo device anyway?  Just
didn't see much use for it or something?  Perhaps there are other
tradeoffs with devising a pseudo SCSI device that talks over an
ATAPI bus that made it undesireable?

TIA!

--
David S. Jackson                        dsj@dsj.net