Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 1994 13:21:24 +0100
From:      Dick van den Burg <burg@burg.is.ge.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bidirectional ports ?

> Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 22:07:02 +1100
> From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
>
> >/usr/u/burg# cu -s38400 -l/dev/cua00 dir
> >cu: /dev/cua00: Line in use
> >/usr/u/burg#
>
> >Am I doing something wrong, or is what I want simply not possible?
>
> Perhaps getty has opened /dev/ttyd0.  Use "fstat | grep ttyd0" and/or
> "ps -laxt d0" to see if /dev/ttyd0 is open.  Carrier must be configured
> correctly for previous gettys to be killed.

Yes, of course getty has /dev/ttyd0 open. That is exactly the problem.
How can I start a getty without without it opening the device?

> Check for junk in /var/spool/lock.  getty doesn't use lock files so
> there should be no locking conflicts between in and cu.

There is no locl file.
> Another bug: if I run cu while rlogin'ed, it connects correctly, but
> when I type "~.", both cu and rlogin exit.
>
> Bruce

man sio says: The callout device is used to steel the port from processes
waiting for carrier ...
This does not happen: I get the busy message.

Thanks,
Dick van den Burg
burg@is.ge.com