Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 2009 15:40:14 +0800
From:      "Sagara Wijetunga" <sagara@tomahawk.com.sg>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI device not created upon a CF card plug in

Pete French writes:

>> I have earlier posted my tests with Linux. All tests were done with same CF
>> cards and the very same multi-card reader on the same computer. They work on
>> Linux. That is, nothing wrong with the multi-card reader, it does it's job
>> of signaling well.
>
> What makes you sure that Linux is using signalling ? It might be that
> they recognise the card reader does not signal and simply poll it every
> few seconds.

On Linux it does not take even a second, its instant.

> Is it possible for you to use a non USB based card reader and see how
> that performs ?

Almost all multi-card readers targeted for consumers are USB type. I'm not
sure whether there are non-USB based multi-card readers available.

Do USB multi-card readers work on FreeBSD in first place? Taking few seconds
to create necessary device is alright, but asking people to reboot the
computer after plug in a card is unacceptable.

Regards
Sagara