Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:16:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        hymette@wanadoo.fr
Cc:        jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu (Jerry McAllister), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-questions)
Subject:   Re: How to backup a disk ?

> Thank you for this note. Actually as I had a previous version of FreeBSD
> on the small disk but not the same partitions I thought that I could use:
>
> # cd big-disk-partition
> # pax -rwX . /mnt/small-disk-folder
>
> to copy each of my partitions, and then edit the fstab on the small disk
> properly. This would avoid me the disklabel steps. But would it work ?

I would still use dump and restore to copy the partitions.
If the small disk is already bootable you could periodically nuke
what is in their partitions and dump the ones from the bigger disk
and restore to the corresponding partition on the smaller one.
If that is not your live backup, then you don't have to do that very
often - just when you make an an OS change - like an upgrade.

////jerry

> My intention is not to backup the whole system on a regular basis,
> instead I 'd like to have the small disk to serve as repair tool in case
> of crash with one partiton dedicated to backup  documents.
>
> What do you think ?

Seems reasonable.