Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 23:14:06 -0500
From:      John Lengeling <johnl@raccoon.com>
To:        Steven Honson <shonson@planetquake.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rwhod & ruptime

Steven Honson wrote:

> Hi,
> I currently use ruptime and rwhod to monitor the hosts on my LAN to great
> success, but there are 3 hosts which i admin that are in another part of
> the country which i access over the internet. I would like to be able to
> get ruptime to show stats for those hosts as well, but so far have had no
> luck, all the machines are running FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE. Does anyone know of
> a way to get ruptime to display info on those hosts?

rwho/ruptime use a broadcast or multicast protocol with a TTL of 1 so it
will only work on the local subnet.  See the man page for rwhod(8).

I would strongly recommend you use Big Brother (BB) since it has more
monitoring capabilities and will work over LAN and WAN connections.  It
will monitor disk, memory, processes, connectivity, etc and then page
you via several mechanisms.  It will do a much better job for you versus
rwho/ruptime.  If you want lights...lots of lights, then the BB Web
Status page is really cool.

BB can be found at http://bb4.com/
To see it in action goto: http://www.maclawran.ca/bb/