Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 2004 05:44:51 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Something wrong in stable 5.3?

Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Tom Connolly wrote:
>
>> Eugene M. Minkovskii wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I'm confusing now: about a month ago I have upgrated from FreeBSD
>>> 5.2.1 to stable 5.3. Since this moment strange things have been
>>> happens on my PC. Usually system works Ok, and can be run as long as
>>> I need without errors. But sometime, (after a little time after the
>>> boot) all begin crashed (core dump --- signal 11). Crashed base
>>> utility, like `cat', `sh' etc.
>>>
>>> Today I have cvsup'ed to stable 5.3 again, and build world again, but
>>> problem don't go away.
>>>
>>> I don't understand what I should do to detect source of problem...
>>>
>>> Have you any idea?
>>

>> Check the power supply.
>
> ... and your hard disk. You have some kind of hardware problem.
>
> Regards,
>
> Uli.

What do you mean by "stable 5.3" if you are tracking 5-STABLE (RELENG_5)
then this could be the problem. If you are change cvsup to RELENG_5_3
and try again, if you are tracking RELENG_5_3 then yes I'd say it was a
hardware problem too. Power supply, Ram, or something overheating are
likely suspects for "random" problems.