Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 08:05:54 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Satyajeet Seth <sseth@sasken.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using netgraph to implement pseudo interfaces

Satyajeet Seth wrote:

> Hi
>
> I wished to implement pseudo interfaces with the following requirements:
>
> 1. There is a ethernet interface fxp0 having MAC address MAC0. It also
> receives packets with destination MAC address MAC1 and MAC2.
>
> 2. The packets with destination MAC address MAC1 are sent to a pseudo
> interface 1 and packets with destination MAC address MAC2 are sent to
> pseudo interface 2.
>
> 3. The packets addressed to MAC0 should be sent to sent to fxp0.
>
> I plan to design  a netgraph as follows:
>
>          iface1
>            /
> fxp0 <-> bpf
>            \
>          iface2
>
> fxp0, iface1, iface2, bpf are nodes of type ng_ether, ng_iface, ng_iface
> and ng_bpf respectively.
>
> The packets with destination addresses MAC1 and MAC2 are sent to
> interfaces iface1 and iface2 respectively by bpf. Remaining are sent to
> fxp0.
>
> Could you suggest some pitfalls/improvements in the above scheme?

should work, though 'ng_iface' nodes are 'point-to-point' nodes and as such do
not
support netmasks.

you probably want to use the 'eiface' node
which can be found at: http://www.riss-telecom.ru/~vitaly/

that node looks like an ethernet interface.

I am not sure how the ARP side of things will work in your setup
and I have a headache so I will not look at it now :-(

> I am using FreeBSD 4.0.

4.2 would be better of course, but netgraph is pretty similar..

> Thanks
> Satya

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org