Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 10:27:53 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>, naddy@mips.inka.de
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

On Tue 2002-07-09 (00:33), David O'Brien wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 09:46:52AM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> > In message: <agacqn$1tv4$1@kemoauc.mips.inka.de>
> >             naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber) writes:
> > : Compared to Debian and RPM the ability to do comprehensive updates
> > : from packages is missing.  Install 500 ports.  Wait a year for
> > : revisions, library versions, and even dependencies to change all
> > : over.  Now let's upgrade all installed ports from a current set of
> > : binary packages.  That sort of thing.
> >
> > portupgrade does his very thing.
>
> Only from /usr/ports, building each port -- it will not use precompiled
> packages.  :-(

Yeah it will - using -P, and only using packages using -PP.  (Not saying
it's perfect, or that it'll work in the given example, especially with
regards to upgrading libraries without upgrading all packages that
depend on it that may not be in the "current set of binary packages.)

Thus, going back to Warner's "portupgrade does this very thing", I'm
afraid it doesn't.  Christian's example would require the ability to use
version ranges (I've previously used the term "relative versioning") to
express dependencies.

And the dpkg (and rpm tools to a lesser degree) are based a bit more on
dependency graph theory, and thus can tell you whether the path you're
going to travel upgrading a certain package and all packages that depend
on that, and the packages that depend on that and so forth, will
actually end up successfully fulfilling all the requirements, and what,
if any, the problem areas are.  Of course, that totally sucks in some
cases (cf. rpm dependency hell).  And apt uses package lists over the
Internet to achieve lots of its dependency solving ability, but it works
for the most part with package CDs without Internet connectivity.  A lot
better than FreeBSD held up when I was trying 4.3->4.4 using only the
packages on the CD, but that may have been a problem with my use of
portupgrade.  And portupgrade has grown up a lot in the mean-time.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@mithrandr.moria.org