Date:      Thu, 06 Dec 2001 09:20:48 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Brian Rudy <berudy@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP Server Question

> Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 11:11:07 -0500
> From: Brian Rudy <berudy@earthlink.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I am running FreeBSD V. 4.3 and would like to set up a DHCP server on a
> very small network.  I looked at the manual and didn't find anything
> (maybe looking in the wrong place) about DHCP server.
>
> Can someone help me out on how to set up a DHCP server?

While the base FreeBSD system includes the dhcp client (dhclient), it
does not include a server. For that you need to install it from
/usr/ports/net/isc-dhcp3/. Read the man pages for dhcpd, dhcpd.conf,
and dhcp-options as well as the example configuration files included in
the port.

In most cases, it's pretty trivial to set up. Unless you need to do
something special, the configuration will be only a few lines long.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)