Date:      Sat, 20 May 2000 13:25:50 +0100 (BST)
From:      Daniel Fairs <danfairs@bits.bris.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS Install

Hi,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 4.0 over NFS onto a laptop. The NFS server
is my SuSE 6.2 box, with the following /etc/exports file:

# See exports(5) for a description.
# This file contains a list of all directories exported to other
computers.
# It is used by rpc.nfsd and rpc.mountd.
/mnt/cdrw (ro,insecure,root_squash)

The machines are linked with a crossover cable. The IP address of the
laptop (the install target) is 192.168.0.10, and the Linux box is
192.168.0.1. They can see each other (when the FreeBSD installer brings up
the interface, ping works).

I've got the first FreeBSD CD sitting in my CDRW drive, mounted on
/mnt/cdrw as you would expect from the exports file. However, when the
FreeBSD installer tries to mount the volume, the debug terminal gives the
following message:

mount_nfs: can't update /var/db/mounttab for 192.168.0.1:/mnt/cdrw

I've specified that /var should have its own partition, of 30MB.

Has anyone else had this problem installing with NFS? Any help greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel Fairs
danfairs@bits.bris.ac.uk, danfairs@hotmail.com
http://www.darkalley.co.uk, http://listen.to/agentorange

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.