Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 12:14:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Greg Hormann <ghormann@ns.kconline.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jim Riffle <rif@wawasee.read.indiana.edu>
Subject:   DUMP: missing files.

This weekend, while trying to convert a 100M dos partition to swap space
on a -current (before Lite/2) machine using the sysinstall method, I
destroyed both my / and /usr partitions.  No problem!  I had just dumped /
and /usr to a tape only 3 hours ago. (Or so I though.)

After using "restore" to reconstruction the file system, I noticed a few
files were missing.  Notably, some libraries (and Linux libraries also),
the ".pinerc"'s of users who we probably reading their mail at the time,
my bookmark.htm file, etc.

My question: what happened to those files?  After realizing the problem, I
check the tape again.  I looked in the my home director for .pinerc on the
tape, and it was listed there, but when I tried to extract it, it said
"/home/ghormann/.pinerc" is not on the tape.  Does dump not back up open
files?  I didn't write to .pinerc (or the libs), during that time, but I
did have pine open.

How can I prevent this problem in the future?

Greg.