Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 10:26:57 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Oguz Eksioglu <eksioglu@cise.ufl.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ioctl:(SIOCGMTU): Device not configured

On Thu, 16 April 1998 at 22:57:26 -0400, Oguz Eksioglu wrote:
>  I made the world with FreeBSD version 2.2.2-Release and now I cant
> start network interfaces like ed0. I start the system in sngle user
> mode and run ifconfig -a  but it gives the error:
>
>  ioctl:(SIOCGMTU): Device not configured

Are you sure you spelt that correctly?  I've searched the entire
repository, including ifconfig, but I haven't found any reference to
SIOCGMTU.  If you can pinpoint it, I might be able to tell you more.

At a guess, you have managed to remove Internet capability from your
kernel.  What happens when you enter this?

 # ifconfig ed0

Greg