Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 11:24:19 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        "Jon E. Mitchiner" <jon@minotaur.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: 19981002-BETA Apache/Mouse problems

>I recently installed the 19981002-BETA onto an ASUS P2B-LS system and the
>installation went through without a hitch.  I had expected a couple of
>problems to come up, but everything worked well until I had decided to do a
>few things...
>
>I enabled the mouse daemon and driver but then I got a lot of out of sync
>errors and the mouse is unusable, so I can't set up X (as the problem is
>affected there as well.)
>
>In the messages, I see the following:
>
>Oct 4 17:55:25 labyrinth /kernel: psmintr: out of sync (0000 != 0008).
>Oct 4 17:55:25 labyrinth /kernel: psmintr: out of sync (00c8 != 0008).
>Oct 4 17:55:25 labyrinth /kernel: psmintr: out of sync (0000 != 0008).
>Oct 4 17:55:25 labyrinth /kernel: psmintr: out of sync (00c8 != 0008).
>Oct 4 17:55:25 labyrinth /kernel: psmintr: out of sync (00c8 != 0008).
>
>etc.  I get 100's of those and am not sure what the problem is.  Ive tried
>replacing the mouse (Logitech) which doesnt resolve the problem.  The next
>step I'm going to try is plugging in a serial mice to see if this resolves
>the problem, but I found it odd.  I was wondering if it was a
>freebsd-related problem?

Would you tell exactly which model of mice you are trying to use on
the PS/2 mouse port?

Please give the -v option at the "boot:" prompt when you start your
box, run the `dmesg' command after the system is up and running, and
send me its output.  The psm driver prints some diagnostic messages
when it probes the mouse.

Make sure you DO NOT unplug or plug the PS/2 mouse while the system is
running.  The PS/2 mouse must be present when the kernel is being
loaded and must stay there until the system is shut down.  The PS/2
mouse interface and the psm driver do not support "hot
plugging/unplugging".

Kazu