Date:      Thu, 04 Jun 1998 09:50:15 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), eivind@yes.no, paterno@dsi.UNIFI.IT, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PnP support for if_ed, and more...

> > > But i don't think it is worth the effort to implement a full scan of
> > > the PnP info.  What I think we would really need is a simple
> > > mechanism (perhaps in userconfig) to list vendor_id's known to the
> > > kernel, and map new id's to know ids.
> > > Wouldn't be too hard to add (just set up a list of id's, to fill up with
> > > DATA_SET in the kenrel, and modify userconfig to add the above
> > > commands), and it is sufficiently flexible  to add new 'compatible'
> > > devices.
> >
> > Linking this into the kernel would be bad; it ought to be read from a
> > file.  I think I am close to having BIOS disk access working at least
>
> uh ? we have been using "dset" for a long time to store this kind of
> information into the kernel. Just allocate a mapping table in the
> kernel (a map entry is 8 bytes after all, so we don't even have to worry
> about kernel bloat).

We use dset for saving fixed-size data back into preallocated
structures.  The ugliness involved in having this data associated with
one and only one kernel should be obvious; the mappings are independant
of kernel configuration and/or driver configuration.

I should be able to edit (eg.) /boot/devicemap and add a new PnP device
without having to update my kernel source and/or stuff the new data
into an installed kernel with dset.